Monday, August 2, 2010

'So's yer FACE'

I recently landed myself a spiffing little job in Fat Face. This feat has proven both beneficial and amusing. You see the thing is nobody really knows a thing about Fat Face.

'I don't mean to sound stupid... but is it a shop for... larger people?' queried more than one friend. Had I answered 'yes' I'm sure at least one of them would have quipped 'well then your fat face should be the face of the company!'. Hence I feel a strange need to explain what Fat Face is. Considering I'm going to have to educate customers on it's origins I'm almost killing two birds* with one stone.





Fat Face was founded in 1988 by Jules Leaver and Tim Slade. The concept was born in Méribel, a ski resort in the French Alps. Leaver and Slade were skiers, but had run out of money. They sold belongings, including a Volkswagen camper van, and purchased plain t-shirts with the proceeds on which to print logos. The idea of "better a bad day on the water than a good day in the office" came from this, and with growing interest and rapport with British tourists, they decided to do business in the UK. Between 1992 and 1993, the Fulham store was opened. Apparently the new Henry Street store is like store 180-something. Oh and the name 'Fat Face' was inspired by Le Face, an Olympic black run in Val d’Isere. Thank you Wikipedia.

SO basically, the brand is really well known in the UK, but virtually invisible in Ireland. Henry Street, here we come.

*No birds were killed in the blogging of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment