Sunday, August 1, 2010

I have many leather bound books.

It seems I've developed a bit of an obsession of late. I spent around €75 of 'daddy's money' on books from Amazon. I kinda assured myself that the fact that I qualified for 'super saver' free shipping with an order like that justified my purchase of 7 books I'll probably never get past the intention of reading.

Since I came back from Stockholm and the jaunt to Berlin and Milan which occurred therein, I've been slightly obsessed with pre-Nazi Germany and World War II. This is definitely my inner HisPol geek re-emerging. It's been what? Two months since I last found myself safe in the arms of academia? I just can't cope without books and grades it seems. The fact that I really want to do a module on Nazi Germany for history next year might have also proven influential. However it fails to explain why I bought books regarding the age of Empire and the ideological origins of the United Nations. I swear to God, if I don't end up in journalism I'm going to seriously piss people off around the water cooler in an office.

I've accumulated so many books that one obsession has started to fuel another. My Ikea shopping sprees have continued and now include the purchase of not one, but two new bookcases for my bedroom. I justified these purchases by reminding myself that one was only a half bookcase and the other a narrower tall one. In other words, I told myself whatever would help me sleep at night. I seriously pity my parents; they got an academically competent kid at the expense of copious amounts of storage. I'd wager I'll be taking the books with me when I move out. If that ever happens; having someone else to pay the mortgage and the bills is kind of a joy.

Now that I have a job I have another excuse to bring a book with me in a bag; I'll most likely never read that book, there will ALWAYS be someone to talk to in the staff canteen. I'm starting next week in Fat Face and I'm quite excited. The co-workers I've met so far seem dead sound. I've a feeling we'll be having the craic. 8 hour contract is pretty sweet too; it means I'll be able to keep the job once college starts back up. I'd guess I've spent my first pay packet on books and a suitcase at this point.

Then again, I am going to Norfolk for 4 days in September, so I had to get some sort of bag to bring with me. Oh Ryanair, how I love you and your deleriously small blue metal cages that tell me my bag isn't the right dimensions for carrying on board. I love their strategy; the bars are rounded, shaves a few centimeters off the space the bag has to fit into. Clever Micky O'Leary.

Knowing payday is about 3-4 days before I leave is a joy.
But this time, I really can't spend it on books.

No comments:

Post a Comment